Rakhine State, Myanmar, May 18 — Human Rights Watch (HRW) has called for justice and accountability for Rohingya victims of a deadly massacre in western Myanmar, saying survivors and affected families continue to face insecurity and a lack of redress months after the attack.
In a report published on May 18, HRW said Rohingya civilians killed during attacks in northern Rakhine State have not received meaningful accountability, while survivors continue to live under fear, displacement, and restricted access to humanitarian assistance.
The rights organization said the massacre took place amid escalating fighting between the Arakan Army (AA) and Myanmar’s military junta in Rakhine State, where Rohingya communities have faced renewed violence, displacement, and insecurity.
According to HRW, witnesses and survivors described attacks on Rohingya civilians attempting to flee conflict areas near the Myanmar-Bangladesh border. The organization said many victims were women and children, while survivors reported severe injuries, disappearances, and destruction of homes.
HRW urged the international community and Myanmar-related accountability mechanisms to conduct independent investigations into alleged abuses and ensure protection for Rohingya civilians trapped in conflict-affected areas.
The organization also warned that Rohingya communities continue to face persecution, movement restrictions, and denial of basic rights nearly nine years after the 2017 military crackdown that forced hundreds of thousands to flee to Bangladesh.
The Arakan Army has previously denied accusations of targeting Rohingya civilians and rejected allegations linking the group to mass atrocities in Rakhine State.







