The United Nations and its humanitarian partners have launched a revised appeal for $710.5 million to support Rohingya refugees in Bangladesh, warning that deep funding shortages are threatening critical humanitarian services for one of the world’s largest displaced populations.
The updated Joint Response Plan for 2026 was presented on Wednesday at the UN House in Dhaka in the presence of UN officials, donor representatives and Bangladeshi authorities.
According to the UN refugee agency UNHCR, the new appeal is 26 percent lower than last year’s funding target and is designed to cover only the most essential life-saving assistance.
The plan aims to assist around 1.56 million people, including Rohingya refugees living in camps in Cox’s Bazar and on Bhasan Char, as well as members of nearby host communities affected by the prolonged humanitarian crisis.
Bangladesh currently hosts more than one million Rohingya refugees who fled violence and persecution in Myanmar, particularly after the military crackdown in Rakhine State in August 2017. Efforts to repatriate the refugees have made little progress over the years, while instability inside Myanmar continues to force more people across the border.
Humanitarian agencies said the crisis has intensified further since early 2024, with an estimated 150,000 new Rohingya arrivals placing additional pressure on already overcrowded camps and limited aid resources.
UNHCR Deputy High Commissioner Kelly T. Clements said shrinking global humanitarian funding has made it increasingly difficult to maintain support for refugees.
“As resources become more limited, it is more important than ever to help refugees build skills and resilience so they can regain hope and rebuild their lives,” she said.
Aid agencies warned that many Rohingya families remain almost entirely dependent on humanitarian support, while reductions in food assistance, healthcare and livelihood opportunities are increasing hardship inside the camps.
Women, children, elderly refugees and people with disabilities are among the groups facing the greatest risks as assistance declines, according to humanitarian officials.


